Many of our clients who are green card holders, i.e. lawful permanent residents (LPRs) often ask attorneys what are the time limits they can spend outside of the U.S. each time each time they travel during a particular year. Below are some answers that also include FAQs from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):
A lawful permanent resident (LPR) normally may travel outside the United States and return; however, there are some limitations. A reentry permit can help prevent two types of problems:
• Your Permanent Resident Card becomes technically invalid for reentry into the United States if you are absent from the United States for 1 year or more.
• Your U.S. permanent residence may be considered as abandoned for absences shorter than 1 year if you take up residence in another country.
A reentry permit establishes that you did not intend to abandon status, and it allows you to apply for admission to the United States after traveling abroad for up to 2 years without having to obtain a returning resident visa. Reentry permits are normally valid for 2 years from the date of issuance.
You may also want to get a reentry permit if you plan on traveling outside the United States and cannot or do not wish to get a passport from your home country. Many countries throughout the world may allow you to use a reentry.

How do I get a reentry permit?

To obtain a reentry permit, file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. You should file this application with the help of your attorney well in advance of your planned trip.
What will happen if I do not apply for a reentry permit before I travel outside of the United States?
If you are a LPR planning to travel outside of the United States for 1 year or more, it is important that you apply for a reentry permit before you depart the United States. If you stay outside of the United States for 1 year or more and did not apply for a reentry permit before you left, you may be considered to have abandoned your permanent resident status. If this happens, you may be referred to appear before an immigration judge to decide whether or not you have abandoned your status.
If you are in this situation, contact the U.S. consulate about a returning resident visa.
I am a LPR and need to travel abroad. Can I file my Form I-131 to get a reentry permit while I am outside the United States?
No. You cannot file a Form I-131 to obtain a reentry permit unless you are physically present in the United States when you file the form. You should file your Form I-131 no fewer than 60 days before you intend to travel abroad.

If I file Form I-131 to get a reentry permit while I am in the United States, will USCIS deny the Form I-131 if I leave the United States while the form is still pending?

We recommend that you file Form I-131 while you are in the United States. However, you do not have to be in the United States for USCIS to approve your Form I-131 and issue a reentry permit to you if your biometrics have been obtained. You can indicate on your Form I-131 that you want USCIS to send your reentry permit to a
U.S. Embassy, or consulate, or a DHS office overseas, so you can pick it up from one of those facilities.
If I file Form I-131 for a reentry permit while I am in the United States, can I submit my biometrics while I am outside the United States?
No. When you file your Form I-131 to obtain a reentry permit, USCIS will notify you when to appear at a designated Application Support Center (ASC) to obtain your biometrics. You must provide your biometrics at the ASC while you are in the United States. If you leave the United States before you provide your biometrics, USCIS may deny your application.

What if I must leave the United States before I can file a Form I-131 for a reentry permit?

You do not need a reentry permit if you will be outside of the United States for less than 1 year. If you have been outside the United States for less than 1 year, you may use your Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) as your travel document.

I have an old reentry permit. Do I need to turn in my old permit if I am filing for a new one?

Reentry permits cannot be extended. If your permit expires, you will need to apply for a new one. If you have a valid reentry permit in your possession, you will need to send it in when you apply for a new one. You need not send in an expired reentry permit. For security reasons, USCIS will not issue a new reentry permit to someone who already has a valid one in his or her possession. If you need a new reentry permit because your previous one was lost, stolen, or destroyed, please indicate this on your application for the new permit.
Please remember to consult an experienced Immigration attorney before you attempt to apply for the reentry permit.


Behar international counsel provides a full-range of immigration legal assistance to our clients. Contact us today to learn how we can help you.
avvo review immigratingtousa
Giacomo J. Behar
avvo review immigratingtousa
Mr Behar is a brilliant immigration attorney. He was very accommodating in scheduling my husband and I for a urgent consultation. He gave us honest and direct advice on what options we have, as well as the pros/cons of the path forward. He is a creative thinker and clearly has an in-depth knowledge of not only US immigration but international affairs as well.
Thank you Giacomo.
avvo review immigratingtousa
Professionalism, expertise and genuine concern for my case
I had a very useful consultation with Mr Behar on my case. Mr Behar thoroughly understood the intricacies of my situation and outlined every step of the legal process with clarity and transparency. His ability to break down complex legal concepts into understandable terms is truly remarkable.
avvo review immigratingtousa
Mr. Behar and his team took great effort to understand my case thoroughly and produced a strategy that worked efficiently in resulting in the positive outcome.
Will definitely come back to him for my future immigration needs.
avvo review immigratingtousa
Highly informative, well knowledged and helpful. Highly recommend
I needed assistance ASAP regarding my J-2 work authorization request. I called Giacomo on Saturday and we setup a call for the same day! Giacomo Is highly skilled and it very much shows that he is VERY knowledgeable about the all immigration process.
Read more reviews
Tatyana Ewards
avvo review immigratingtousa Tatyana Ewards
The Best Immigration Lawyer
Tatyana and her team of professionals are exceptional. She handled my case expertly and I highly recommend her services. Working with her was a great decision, resulting in time and money saved. My experience with her was wonderful due to her prompt communication and readiness to answer any questions.
avvo review immigratingtousa Tatyana Ewards
Best Asylum Lawyer
I highly recommend Tatyana Edwards, she did a great job with my asylum case. My case had been pending for almost 8 years since 2015 . She took a look at my case, and managed to place it on on the standby list not on the waiting list which would have taken longer. Last month, I had an interview notice, did my interview, picked up my decision ( granted).
avvo review immigratingtousa Tatyana Ewards
It's nice to deal with professionals
My friends who also had a positive experience working with Tatiana Edwards recommended this lawyer to me. My case was very complicated, the trials lasted for several years and the judge extended the hearings because of the large amount of information and documents.
Yury N
avvo review immigratingtousa Tatyana Ewards
Bravo! Bis!
Professionalism, intelligence and precision! Necessary benevolence and human kindness! May you be lucky to find a protector, like-minded person and ally in Tatyana's face!
Read more reviews
© Behar International Counsel U.S. Immigration Law Advocates 2024